Saturday, March 31, 2012

Papa's Girl

Today we lost all of our menfolk (except Baby Boy) to the pursuit of the wild morel mushroom, so we needed an adventure for just us girls, which included Grandma.  Mookie has been dying to take some flowers to her great-grandpa's grave, so we took advantage of the beautiful day and headed out.  After a few side trips, and Mookie questioning whether or not we'd actually get there, we arrived to Cummings Cemetery.  Cummings is just a spot in the road nowadays, but it's the town where three generations of my family lived and are buried.  Mookie took the ultimate care to make sure the flowers were laid carefully for the Papa she loved so much:) 
  I wasn't as close to Papa at her age as I was in my grown up years, but I sure enjoyed the time spent visiting and just being together later on.  I tried to make sure we got in to visit him as often as we could because he absolutely adored his great-grandkids, and they him.  In fact, they got away with so much more than I ever could when I was their age.  The glass figurines in the front window my sister & I couldn't touch, Papa would set out for my kiddos to play with on the floor.  They loved to lay down on the floor as he grabbed their feet securely and said "now what are you going to do?", which would be followed by laughter and wiggles to get free. 
  Some of the pictures that are most dear to me are some we found when we were breaking up my grandparents' house after they had both passed away.  They were ones my Papa took one Halloween and epitomize the love that the kiddos and he shared.  He must have seen us coming and quickly grabbed his camera and opened the door and snapped pics as they were yelling "trick or treat!".  I keep these in their original photo develop packet in a drawer, every time I pull them out I tear up as I flip through the series that starts with us exiting the car to pics outside by the bush before we left.  I sure do miss going to his house, the door swinging open and a hug with a "how you doing girl?".  We miss you Papa, and hope to see you again one day!
ding dong!
"trick or treat!"
The kids with the glass figurines in the front window.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story. The pictures are great! Don't remember seeing them. And the urn-lamp in the window. Precious memories. : } Love you Mommo

    ReplyDelete